Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween / Day of the Dead Blog Hop...

You may already know (based on past blog posts) that Halloween is my favorite holiday and we celebrate the Day of the Dead every year at Bone Garden Cantina. When I saw an invitation to join a Halloween/Day of the Dead blog hop, I immediately dropped everything and went to work on some ‘creepy’ new designs. 

Blog hop host Diana Ptaszynski asked that each design contain at least one Art Bead.  I dug through my lampwork bead collection and came up with several possibilities.  I also purchased a marvelous polymer clay skull pendant from artist Jenny Davies-Reazor

In celebration of the lives of my dearly departed, I’ve crafted this Catrina necklace using an Art Bead made of polymer clay, individually wire wrapped Czech glass flowers and round Howlite gemstone beads.  The Bali sliver links have been in my stash for several years, they seemed perfect for this design. I plan to wear the necklace to the annual Day of the Dead celebration at The Bone Garden Cantina in mid-town Atlanta.  

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LorisGlassworks

Despite its macabre name, Dia de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, is a joyful celebration. It's a day set aside to remember, honor, and celebrate the life of loved ones that have passed. The day isn’t spent mourning the loss; it is spent celebrating the lives of the dearly departed.

Sculpture by Michael Benoit - Bone Garden Cantina
Sculpture by Michael Benoit At Bone Garden Cantina, Atlanta, GA

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LorisGlassworks

In Mexico on the Day of the Dead, families travel to village graveyards to visit their departed loved ones. Favorite foods and drinks of the departed are shared graveside during family picnics. The graves of relatives are decorated with sunny marigold garlands and candles. Some folks even bring toys for the children that were taken too soon. Families sing, reminisce, laugh, and tell stories. They are conversing with the dead, unafraid and happy. Death's morbid side is buried under music and remembrances; they are celebrating life during the remembrance of death.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LorisGlassworks

El Dia de los Muertos is one of my favorite days of the year. I love the colors, vibrant orange, yellow and pink. I love Catrinas, the dressed-up skeletons doing all kinds of things, like dancing and cooking and getting married. I love the brightly decorated sugar skulls, and most of all I love the significance of the day.

Mural by Michael Benoit - Bone Garden Cantina
Mural by Michael Benoit - At Bone Garden Cantina, Atlanta, GA.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LorisGlassworks

I had a few glass flower beads left after finishing the necklace, so I made a matching pair of drop earrings to wear to the celebration.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LorisGlassworks

For the Halloween portion of this blog hop, I used a great lampwork bead of Jack from the Tim Burton movie Nightmare before Christmas. The bead was made by fellow lampwork artisit Melanie at Moonraker Beads  and I thought it would be perfect for this challenge.


I added several small lampwork beads, some freshwater pearls and several different sizes of black glass beads to compliment the Jack lampwork bead.  The bracelet is long enough to wrap around the wrist twice. I like the multi strand look.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LorisGlassworks

Thanks for stopping by my blog to take a peek at my designs. If you have a few minutes, stop by some of the other blogs revealing today. Participants are listed below.

Have fun hoping around! Cheers!
Kathleen Breeding  http://99bobotw.blogspot.com
Dianne Miller  http://www.artbydianne.blogspot.com

Lisa Liddy  http://www.lisaliddy.wordpress.com
Toltec Jewels  http://www.JewelSchoolFriends.com
Laura Medeiros  http://Www.zoeowyn.blogspot.com
Veralynne Malone  http://www.veradesigns.blogspot.com
Jenny Davies-Reazor  http://jdaviesreazor.com/blog
Stephanie LaRosa  http://Www.stringaholic.blogspot.com
Nicole Valentine Rimmer  http://www.nvalentine.blogspot.com

Sarajo Wentling  http://www.sjdesignsjewelry.blogspot.com

Lori Dorrington  http://lorisglassworks.blogspot.com   « You Are Here
Dawn M. Gallop  http://www.flipflopsandpoptarts.com


Share this Blog Post :

27 comments:

  1. OMG - that necklace is to-die-for gorgeous (no pun intended LOL). SO unbelievably pretty. I love it (can you tell).

    ReplyDelete
  2. that necklace is wonderful! thanks for the history and picture of day of the dead. I too like how the life of loved ones is celebrated, so as to not forget them. its a day to feel close to those who are gone too soon! its beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your necklace is wonderful, Lori! I have always thought in Mexico they got it right... much of western culture makes death impersonal and frightening instead of what it is: a part of life. Having parties with relatives who have passed over sounds like a great tonic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both pieces are insanely beautiful!!!!! I especially love the way you've used a soft, almost pastel theme for the necklace, in place of harsher color combinations - I think it makes it very very unique and just awesome!! The bracelet is fantastic, and I LOVE that it will wrap twice!! Wonderful work, and I'm happy to have found your blog - I must follow now, you make lovely pieces. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!!! Love the pieces you made the Jack Skellington is my favorite!! You know this year marks 20 years since Disney/Tim Burton debuted the movie. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful day !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are both gorgeous. I love the first one and how it really captures the spirit of the holiday. The second one made me smile from ear to ear -- it's fabulous and I know you are going to enjoy it for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect, perfect, perfect pieces! Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the Catrina piece. I love how you captured the floral elements of Dia de los Muertos. The the Jack Skellington piece is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing work! The last piece is my absolute favorite. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, really love your work and what you did with the art beads. You also included a nice description of what Dia de los Muertos is about and I'm jealous you actually get to celebrate it. I don't think there are any celebrations near where I am but I'm going to go look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your day of the dead is piece is amazing.. for such a large focal, the necklace is surprisingly 'delicate' looking, and very feminine :) Love it! and the second necklace is just plain fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The piece with the Jenny Davies-Reazor skull is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are gorgeous and perfect for the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori - I love the Catrina necklace! The rhythm of the large links and the floral clusters is perfect! The Jack necklace is spot on, as well! the mental image of wearing it as a double strand with the Jack face peaking out - made me smile! Thank you for making my lil skull pendant shine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love both of your designs. The flowers really cause the necklace to stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you did with the sugar skull from Jenny! With all those little glass flowers it's just lovely! And the Jack bead is so cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both necklaces. Thank you for the information about Day of the Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so wanted one of Jenny's sugar skulls. Love what you did with it! Those little flower beads are perfect. And the halloween bead is so cute inthe 2nd piece!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that Sugar Skull necklace is just awesome!! Really, really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was one of the nicest descriptions of the Day of the Dead that I've read. You captured the spirit perfectly! Your necklace and matching earrings are awesome. I really like how you clustered the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, your necklace for the Day of the Dead / Dia de las Muertos is super! I love the colors and the way you designed it - perfect. Great sugar skull by Jenny, too. I too love the meaning (and actually happiness) that goes along with this holiday. And your Halloween bracelet is also fabulous - love that bead by Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love them both! They are each so different yet perfect for their themes and focals...really great designs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wish I could join you at that cantina for drinks tonight! sounds wonderful-- I would love to see that sculpture in person, and the mural. We're not really into Dia de los Muertos here in Vermont. Too bad. Beautiful work with Jenny's skull. I have one of those and you've given me some great inspiration. Happy Hallowe'en!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi I found you through the blog hop-love your work! that's fun that you will get to wear your piece-enjoying reading about the holiday too-Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too love Day of the Dead, and your necklace and earrings are fabulous!! Thanks for sharing! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have just gotten around to reading everyone's posts... I'm glad I didn't give up, I wouldn't have seen the amazing skull you made. I love the first skull and necklace that you made, and the earrings.... and the other necklace.... I have a soft place in my heart for skulls, and I love yours! ha.

    ReplyDelete